Saturday, September 13, 2008

What's for Dinner?

On Thursday, I was trying very hard to be positive after an incredibly frustrating day at school. (I have two students in my class that are not ready to be in kindergarten and it drains me everyday. I have to help them hold their pencil so that they can scribble their name on their paper and I have to help them hold thier sissors so that they can cut paper and not their hair or shirt. I have to clean up accidents and get them in dry clothes so that we can continue on with our day. I have to hold thier hand to get them to do any of the things I ask them to do.) I came home and decided that I would fix dinner (it only happens on rare occasions at our house) so that when Taun came home we could "act" like a real family and have dinner together. I had a screaming one year old at my feet the whole time...he did not want to eat, drink or play. He just wanted to be held. I was making a delicious Cheesy Mostaccioli (thanks to Hilary for the recipe) and it was only going to take a few minutes until I could hold him, so I let him scream for a minute. Anyway I got all the ingredients into the casserole dish and put it in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
When it had 6 minutes left I heard a small explosion coming from the oven. I did not dare open the oven but I went into the kitchen and saw glass on the floor by the oven. It kept popping and exploding so I turned the oven off and waited for Taun to come home. When we opened the oven, we saw that the pyrex dish had exploded (no, it had not been in the fridge before and I don't remember there being any cracks in it) and the glass and pasta was everywhere. I thought "it's okay, just crap on the end of an already crappy day!" Taun told me to go in the other room and veg while he watched the kids and fixed something for dinner. I did just that and he did fix a delicious dinner...Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and even a vegetable (broccoli-my favorite!)





Here is the recipe...just make sure your dish is a good one!

Cheesy Mostaccioli


1 lb. mostaccioli noodles (cooked)
1 jar Classico tomato and basil sauce
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
3 c. shredded mozarella cheese
1 lb. browned hamburger

Preheat oven to 400. Combine pasta, soup, and classico sauce. Add pepper, Italian seasoning, 2 cups mozarella cheese, and meat. Mix to combine. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes and ENJOY!

8 comments:

tiff said...

That happened to me before, except I had the pyres on the stove and turned on the wrong burner (the one the pyrex was on) I noticed it and hurried and turned it off and then it exploded! I felt the heat but miraculously the pieces flew everywhere around me! they were so hot they melted our linoleum floor. I didn't have one piece touch me even though I was only 2 feet away from the stove.

Jeri Dawn said...

Awesome! I love new recipes! Sorry about the dish--at first I thought the oven had exploded! Sorry about your day too (or should I say days...). Love ya!

Breanne said...

That is so frustrating. When it rains, it pours. It's great that Taun let you cool off and he took care of things.
It looked really yummy, I'll have to try that one :)

Carrie said...

We had one explode, too, but it had been in the fridge. That's so weird! You have an amazing husband! And he has an amazing wife! Love ya!

Bilary said...

I promise I didn't give you a gag recipe! Mine has NEVER done that! Holy crap! I've never even known anyone who has had that happen. YIKES! I can't believe you took a picture. I'm glad taun saved the day and made you a yummy dinner.

I hate those days when you wake up and are just sure the world is out to crap on you. Ugh...Those are the days you need to just crawl back in bed and not start over - just sleep until the next day.

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

oh! i am so sorry! I don't think you get paid enough to do that kind of stuff! i am sorry about your crappy day!

Nancy said...

Oh that stinks, Shannon. What a dude Taun is. I'll have to try that recipe sometime,though.

Picture Perfect said...

Oh I'm sorry your day was like that! It always seems to happen when you are doing the very best you can.

Maybe you should transfer those kids out of your class!